2006-2010 Term of Council
John Taylor: Environmental Leadership
- Brought forward the introduction of mandatory compostable bags for the Green Bin at the Region of York
- Chair of Newmarket's 'Partners for Climate Protection' Task Force
- Board Member of the Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority
- Committee member of The Windfall Ecology Festival
- Moved successful motion to eliminate disposable plastic water bottles in both the Town and the Regional council chambers and meeting rooms
- Co-founded 'Ride Your Bike To Work Day'
- Chair of Town of Newmarket 'Earth Hour' Committee
- Owns and drives a hybrid vehicle
- Powers his home by clean renewable energy
John Taylor: Responsible Spending and Lower Taxes
- A strong and vocal advocate for the successful elimination of GTA Pooling (saving York Region taxpayers 13.2 million each year)
- Voted against wage increases during difficult economic times
- Introduced a substantive budget motion during the past term of council to cut spending on every discretionary line item in the budget
- Advocated for 'buy local' procurement policy
- Voted against 'hospital levy' on local property taxes and called on Province to fully fund our hospitals.
John Taylor: Social Responsibility and Strong Communities
- Introduced a motion to develop a long term strategy for Social Services in York Region
- Helped bring forward a 1.3 million dollar enhancement at Region leading to 'Coats for Kids' and 'Backpack for Kids' programs
- Championed motion to provide reduced transit fare for those on disability support
- Introduced a program for snow shoveling for seniors and persons with disabilities
- Voted against government funded seniors homes for specific ethnic and religious groups only.
- Volunteer President of the Heart and Stroke Foundation, York Region North.
- Received the 2009 Heart and Stroke Provincial Award for Volunteer Excellence